BT 700 in early or late May?

Marshall
Thanks @mkadey for creating this route-- it looks awesome!

With my work and family schedule, the ideal time for me for trips is early May, followed by late May, and, 3rd choice, early June. I am curious anyone's sense of what the route might be like in May. I don't mind cool days, I'm not a huge fan of cold nights, but what I'm most concerned about is campgrounds and other services along the route being closed. I've found, say, in Vermont, most things like that don't come alive until after Memorial Day here in the states, and I'm curious what it might be like in that part of Ontario. Thanks!

Re: BT 700 in early or late May?

mkadey
Administrator
I think it depends a lot on the type of spring we have. Last year was a really wet spring and the route was pretty swampy for much of May. If you can, I'd say try to way until late May/early June. That will give things more time to dry up and also you'll get more greenery which is always nice visually. And, yes, more likely to find campsites that are up and running at that time of year.

Re: BT 700 in early or late May?

Marshall
Thanks! Is there a magic date when nearly everything is open for the season?

Re: BT 700 in early or late May?

mkadey
Administrator
Not sure, but maybe the May 24 long weekend? You could try calling a few places along the route to check.

Re: BT 700 in early or late May?

Robb
May 24 weekend is when a lot of campgrounds open, and even then its hit or miss. Here is a reminder of 2016 if you want..

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/photos-ontarians-unimpressed-with-snow-in-mid-may/67781

Re: BT 700 in early or late May?

Marshall
Ha! Thanks!

Re: BT 700 in early or late May?

mkadey
Administrator
If the weather is fairly dry in late April/early May then the route should be in good shape during the early spring.