BT700 XL gpx file?

MTBMike
Hi everyone,

Just wondered if there is a gpx file of the BT700 XL route out there that includes the very latest iterations of the BT700 (770) and GNR (with the recently added trail sections)?

Thanks in advance!

Re: BT700 XL gpx file?

MTBMike
Shout out and a big thank you to David Wright for the gpx files I was looking for...what a guy!

Re: BT700 XL gpx file?

David Wright
My pleasure Mike.  I hope you enjoy the ride as much as I did last year.  Cheers!

Re: BT700 XL gpx file?

MTBMike
I'm sure I will, thanks!   🍻

On Tue, 9 Jun 2020, 4:55 p.m. David Wright [via BT 700], <[hidden email]> wrote:
My pleasure Mike.  I hope you enjoy the ride as much as I did last year.  Cheers!

http://bt-700.115712.n8.nabble.com/BT700-XL-gpx-file-tp161p164.html
To unsubscribe from BT700 XL gpx file?, click here.
NAML

Re: BT700 XL gpx file?

mkadey
Administrator
Mike, both route files have been updated on June 8th so if you downloaded them before this date it's best to do so again. Since both routes start and finish in St. Jacob's I usually just tell riders to upload each route separately. When you finish the BT 700 you would simply just fire up the GNR route.  From my experience, not a lot of navigation devices do well handling a 1100km route.

Re: BT700 XL gpx file?

MTBMike
Thanks for that...I will definitely download the new files.   :)

Re: BT700 XL gpx file?

mkadey
Administrator
When are you planning on riding the route?

Re: BT700 XL gpx file?

MTBMike
Not totally sure yet but was thinking maybe depart from Caledon East either June 20th or 27th.

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020, 2:58 p.m. mkadey [via BT 700], <[hidden email]> wrote:
When are you planning on riding the route?

http://bt-700.115712.n8.nabble.com/BT700-XL-gpx-file-tp161p168.html
To unsubscribe from BT700 XL gpx file?, click here.
NAML

Re: BT700 XL gpx file?

mkadey
Administrator
That's great. I am heading out Monday to ride the route and see how everything is working out. So contact me directly (you can use the contact page on this site) before you leave and I can provide you with any updates.

Re: BT700 XL gpx file?

MTBMike
Thanks very much, I definitely will!

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 6:53 AM mkadey [via BT 700] <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's great. I am heading out Monday to ride the route and see how everything is working out. So contact me directly (you can use the contact page on this site) before you leave and I can provide you with any updates.

http://bt-700.115712.n8.nabble.com/BT700-XL-gpx-file-tp161p170.html
To unsubscribe from BT700 XL gpx file?, click here.
NAML

Re: BT700 XL gpx file?

mkadey
Administrator
Just got back from riding the BT 700 and will be updating the route file this weekend.

Re: BT700 XL gpx file?

MTBMike
Excellent! I was going to message you this week as I hope to start next weekend. Cheers!

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 8:42 AM mkadey [via BT 700] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just got back from riding the BT 700 and will be updating the route file this weekend.

http://bt-700.115712.n8.nabble.com/BT700-XL-gpx-file-tp161p177.html
To unsubscribe from BT700 XL gpx file?, click here.
NAML

Re: BT700 XL gpx file?

mkadey
Administrator
If you are heading out this weekend I have made not of a couple detours you may need to make in the route info: http://www.bt700.ca/bikepackingroute.html

Re: BT700 XL gpx file?

MTBMike
Thanks!

Re: BT700 XL gpx file?

mkadey
Administrator
Did you end up doing the route?

Re: BT700 XL gpx file?

MTBMike
I rode the BT route from Caledon East to St. Jacobs, then started on what was probably last year's GNR route. I tried loading the newest files that you posted up, but as you noted, the Garmin doesn't like files that big and it left a chunk of the route out. I ended up using the files that David sent me as they were a size the Garmin could handle.

Tip of the hat to you for creating these routes...I can't believe the level of support you have endeavoured to provide in all aspects of making a great bikepacking experience for everyone, nor can I fathom how intimate your knowledge of this province must be to have pieced together so many great sections of trail! Many times I would enter a trail and wonder, how the heck did he find this?! Amazing.

Having said all that, I realized that having packed for the long haul of the BT700 XL, my bike at 75 pounds was a real beast on the climbs and I was not making the daily distance that I would have needed to complete the entire route in the time I had. I also realized that I'm really not a fan of gravel roads. I get that they are necessary at times but there's only so many cornfields I need to see.

Fate would have it that it was a brutally hot and cloudless week that I chose to do the ride, and the gravel roads in particular left me exposed and baking in the sun. By your description of the BT route, it's got even more climbing and gravel. I decided to finish the GNR in St. Jacobs and then ride back on the BT to Caledon East.

Despite how it might come across, I really did enjoy it. Thanks for all you do!  🍻

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020, 6:15 a.m. mkadey [via BT 700], <[hidden email]> wrote:
Did you end up doing the route?

http://bt-700.115712.n8.nabble.com/BT700-XL-gpx-file-tp161p219.html
To unsubscribe from BT700 XL gpx file?, click here.
NAML

Re: BT700 XL gpx file?

mkadey
Administrator
Thanks for the update. Yes, happy with how much trail is on the GNR route. It took many hours to piece that all together. You are correct, the BT has some definite elevation in it. But happy to report that most of the gravel roads after lake Huron are blissfully surrounded by forest and not corn fields.

Re: BT700 XL gpx file?

MTBMike
Might just have to give the BT a try one day!   👍

http://bt-700.115712.n8.nabble.com/BT700-XL-gpx-file-tp161p222.html