Tire clearance

jarude
Hi, this route looks rad.

My touring bike clears 700x38mm, tops. How bad of a time am I going to have, on what stretches, and for how long?

In other words, I understand that roughly 85% of the route is non-pavement. Of that 85%, how much is broken down into gravel road/rail trail/singletrack/doubletrack/etc.

I'm also thinking about buying a new fork which would permit for 45mm in the front with 42mm clearance in the rear. Would this make an appreciable difference?

Re: Tire clearance

mkadey
Administrator
For a big chunk of route, 38mm will be adequate, especially if you have some experience riding off-road with this tire width. If I had to estimate, perhaps for about 10 to 15% of the route you may wish you had slightly wider tires.  This mostly occurs on the trail sections between Mono and Albion. The question mark is the rail trail between Mildmay and Paisley - sometimes this is smoother but sometimes this can be beaten up by ATV use. Definitely, at 45/42 combo would provide the most comfortable ride, but if 38mm is all you can handle I would not let that stop you from riding.

Re: Tire clearance

jarude
Thanks!

Re: Tire clearance

Matt
I have too many bikes.
I could use my fatbike (4" tires) with bikepacking bags
I could use my touring bike - 700c x 41. With racks and panniers all around.
I could use my gravel rig - 700c x 43 with bikepacking bags.
I could try and get some wheels with 3" tires for the fatbike.

My question turns into what type of bag setup is better? Rack + Pannier or bikepacking bags?

Gravel roads and rail trail are no problem for any of my bikes. Single track would prob be better without a front rack?

Re: Tire clearance

mkadey
Administrator
Well, that is better than having too many cars

I think a fat bike with 4" tires would be overkill. On the long stretches of gravel roads that would be inefficient. If I had a choice, I'd say that that a gravel bike with 43mm tires and bikepacking bags would be an awesome setup for this. That should be able to handle some of the more rowdy sections. However, as I've said to other riders, panniers are also suitable for this route but maybe just a little less capable on the few trail sections and perhaps a couple of the more rugged unserviced road sections. Truth is, I may run my Surely with rear panniers and a front roll bag upfront.

Re: Tire clearance

A Grant
I echo mkadey's sentiment that a gravel rig with 43' tires and "bikepacking" bags would must likely be the ideal set up.  Bear in mind that, based on the route map, you'll never be too far away from a restaurant/convenience store/grocery store where you can pick up supplies (honestly, I plan to go stoveless).  So, if you limit yourself to the essentials (tent, sleeping bag, mattress, a single change of clothes, rain gear), panniers ought to be unnecessary.

Re: Tire clearance

allgone
I'll be trying the route in early June on 34's. Will let ya know how it goes.
Rob

Re: Tire clearance

Rob
I have wheels with 40mm and wheels with 2.35in, so interested to hear what you recommend after a ride through

Re: Tire clearance

allgone
I should have an idea in about 3 weeks, heading down from the north next week for a group ride then after I'll take a geeze. Also will try to remember to take some photos of the worst parts of the terrain. Will upload to my log on Instagram @astheslowwheelpoursthesand

Re: Tire clearance

mkadey
Administrator
Probably a few spots where 34s will be a bit narrow (especially if the wet spring continues) but those will be good on the stretches of hard-packed gravel.

Re: Tire clearance

mkadey
Administrator
Allgone, current reports are that parts of Bruce County Trail (Between Mildmay and Paisley) might be pretty rough on skinnier tires. In my route file, I've mentioned a couple trail bypasses if needed.

Re: Tire clearance

Jose Lafarga
Hi Guys

I just rode the course on 700x38 and finished most of the route.  My comments:
- as Matt indicated, this size of tire is fine for most of the route.
- I wish I was running tubeless, as I did have 2-3 pinch flats
- the worst sections for me were the "rock beds".  I ride these sorts of terrains on these tires without load, but adding 20 pounds of gear and water, and pinch flats were happening.
- I adjusted my riding after day 2, and sacrificed some speed by walking through the areas I felt were dangerous.  No flats for the last 2 days.  !!

I probably wish I had bigger tires, but my bike won't take.  And I was feeling fast for most of the route so the adjusted riding style was worth it.

Likely too late for this year (unless there are some later starters), but maybe useful for next.
Jose

Re: Tire clearance

mkadey
Administrator
Jose, glad to hear that you got through most of the route and sorry to hear about John's health issues. Thank you for the feedback. I think a lot of riders are wishing they had a big more rubber. It sounded like you guys had a rough trip to Flesherton.

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 9:43 PM Jose Lafarga [via BT 700] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guys

I just rode the course on 700x38 and finished most of the route.  My comments:
- as Matt indicated, this size of tire is fine for most of the route.
- I wish I was running tubeless, as I did have 2-3 pinch flats
- the worst sections for me were the "rock beds".  I ride these sorts of terrains on these tires without load, but adding 20 pounds of gear and water, and pinch flats were happening.
- I adjusted my riding after day 2, and sacrificed some speed by walking through the areas I felt were dangerous.  No flats for the last 2 days.  !!

I probably wish I had bigger tires, but my bike won't take.  And I was feeling fast for most of the route so the adjusted riding style was worth it.

Likely too late for this year (unless there are some later starters), but maybe useful for next.
Jose

http://bt-700.115712.n8.nabble.com/Tire-clearance-tp8p122.html
To unsubscribe from Tire clearance, click here.
NAML

--

Matthew Kadey MSc., RD
Dietitian, Writer, Photographer, adventure cyclist

www.matthewkadey.com

www.bt700.ca

www.rocketfuelfoods.net

www.muffintinmania.com